Monday, October 29, 2012

Come Thou Fount

Artwork by Greg Olsen
Have you ever noticed that trials come as packages? The familiar saying, "When it rains, it pours" is frequently used to describe life's trials. I have found when it comes to dealing with trials, you can choose to go one of two ways. The first path is to become angry and bitter and turn away from the Lord. The second is to become more humble and accepting of the Lord's will.

Sometimes I struggle to feel positive about my situation. However, my frustrations have never been directed at the Lord. I've never considered turning away. Slowly, but surely, I'm learning to hand my will over to my Father in Heaven and accept His plan for me. I'm learning to laugh at the situations I've been in, mainly because sometimes the only thing left to do IS laugh.

Lately I've been very overwhelmed with juggling work, school, my church calling, and chores around the house. Trying to find that balance is difficult, yet the Lord will make up the difference. One of my favorite hymns is Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. The message contained in that song is beautiful. It speaks of mercy from heaven, angels' protection, the atonement, and ends with handing your heart over to the Lord. What a testimony this song is of the Lord's love for each of us.

My hope is that if you are going through trials, you will choose to take the path that leads to a humble heart and accepting the Lord's will. I'm a firm believer in the power of music. So, if you are struggling with which path to choose in your own struggle with trials, listen to this song and see where your heart takes you. You don't have to be perfect. That's why the Savior gave His life for us and provided a way for each of us to be forgiven and return to Him.

2 comments:

  1. I love it Jen. It was the perfect way to end my night. I am so glad that was the last thing my dad heard as he left to return home. What a wonderful gift! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful rendition of this very powerful and moving song! Your rendition brought more healing to my heart!

    ReplyDelete